April 21, 2010

So this is what breathing feels like?

“Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express.” Joseph Addison


Sitting in the Garage Last Night Dad pulls out his old guitar. Just the aroma of that sweet wood as he popped the case open brought back memories of life when I was little. Times where Dad and I would get up early, grab the guitar and wake up the rest of the neighborhood with our singing. His fingers would move along the neck forming his own little melodies and I would make up something as it came. Those were the days when things were a lot easier.
“Kiss an Angel Good Morning” was our song. We would even sing it over and over again just because we got so into it. Singing it last night it still felt as if I was that seven year old girl hanging on my Dads every word. Then I started to think... I still do!
My week in Oklahoma has been all about catching up. It's been serious talk, after serious talk. So much has changed within the past few months with the both of us so really we've just been relying on each other’s advice. I don't know what it is about my Dad that brings all the emotion out. Lord knows I'm not good with feelings or emotions, usually I just shut up and bury them but there is no hesitation when it comes to my father... He hears it all! I'm pretty sure most girls are that way with their Dads. Maybe it’s because we know they will love us despite anything we say or do. We don’t ever have to worry about them telling anyone and we don’t have to worry about being judged. It’s so simple sharing things with him, so why didn’t I run here when everything was crumbling? Why did it take this long for me to come up here and get things straight. I came here with a load and now it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.
I can breathe again.

It feels nice.



I have a couple more days left with the old man. I must say, this week has gone by entirely too fast.
Right now we are headed towards the city to some places on my "to see" list and to gorge our faces with sushi.
Adieu
Ledarlingchelc