March 23, 2010

"It's not that we're scared. It's just that it's delicate"

.."tired of screwing up, tired of going down, tired of my self, tired of this town. Oh my my, oh hell yes, honey put on that party dress."


I've never had that ONE favorite band or that ONE favorite song. I do however have a handful of favorites. They are a collection of soul defining songs. Which really means songs that hold so much meaning to me that still when I hear them I remember and feel the same way I did when I heard them for the first time. I was riding in the car last night and the song The Boy In The Bubble came on. Now this song has been in my “Favorites Library” for as long as I can remember. So I’m making my way home from the movies and on comes The Boy In The Bubble only it wasn't Paul Simon singing and it really tripped me out. I literally pulled the car over so I wouldn't be distracted from the song. It was no other than a cover from Peter Gabriel. I was in udder disbelief and amazement! I feel like I never really understood the song completely until I heard it sung by the former member of Genesis. I know it may seem rash but I even got a little choked up. If anyone has yet to be blessed by the empowerment of this song first listen to it performed by Paul and then sink into the heavenly version Peter has provided. It's guaranteed to change your life... It did mine!




While on the subject of Peter Gabriel and cover songs. He has a new album out that is just cover songs called 'Scratch My Back'. It came out in the states on March 2 so it is a very new slice of heaven. The album features Peter's recordings of Heroes (David Bowie), The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon), Mirrorball (Elbow), Flume (Bon Iver), Listening Wind (Talking Heads), The Power of the Heart (Lou Reed), My Body is a Cage (Arcade Fire), The Book of Love (The Magnetic Fields), I Think it's Going to Rain Today (Randy Newman), Après Moi (Regina Spektor), Philadelphia (Neil Young) and Street Spirit (Fade Out) (Radiohead).
They will all warm your heart!


I have nearly six months until the big 2-0! That's right, I will no longer be a teenager! Adios Angst! This is something I dream about at night, it's depressing but so true. I want to go all out! Birthdays have never been a big thing for me; I always just go out-to-eat with the family and/or hang out with a few friends. But this year...This year is going to be different! Maybe a road trip to Leonard Knight's Salvation Mountain in Niland, California is in order. That’s one place held in the states that I've always wanted to go too. Just a single backpack, some fruit and water, and a tent! Imagine camping out underneath the stars in Cali, and hanging out by a fire. A road trip just seems like a perfect way to ring in the big vente!




As most may know, I am a complete sucker for a cowboy boots. Heck I live in old concert tees, cut offs and cowboy boots. So since we are already talking “Birthday”... The one thing I'm asking for this year is a pair of red cowboy boots. I've been on the hunt for a long time now but I can't seem to find the right pair. I don't buy new boots; I go completely second hand on this one particular item. I like to find them at thrift stores and such. It just makes them all the more special and unique. To think that someone out there enjoyed them just as much as I did at one time is so neat. You are just carrying on, where they left off. I use to own a pair when I was younger; I lived in them most would say! Eventually I grew out of that stage and the boots, but it was enjoyable while it lasted. If you think about it, how many people have you seen wear red cowboy boots lately…exactly! So when I rock them, people are going to either laugh or love them. But who really cares what people think when it comes to fashion. Everyone has his or her own opinions anyway. I say just wear what you like and what makes you happy. And I’m 100.99873945794375% sure red cowboy boots will make me happy!




Other things that make me happy include:






Perfection.