May 20, 2010

I'm not lost; not lost, just undiscovered.



Welcome Back Self.
Yes,I just welcomed myself back to my own blog.
It feels good to be back.
Its been a while since an update and I apologize.
You've really missed out on an amazing week so I'll update you the best I can.




There is no better way to spend an early morning than, conversing with good people over pancakes, throwing on a pair of old boots and cut-off shorts and listening to live music at 9am with a coffee in hand. This is near my version of heaven and Saturday morning ,after a long night of LP rehearsing, they were ready to welcome the new day with a little rock . Not only did I enjoy waking up to music but this band is so kick ass to hang out with. With each member owning different personalities it's really quite interesting at how perfectly they mesh together, plus you never find a dull moment with these guys. The dedication of each member in this band is truly outstanding. I guess I'm just not use to a band that every member is a hundred percent sold out for their music. It's refreshing really, to see how much they believe in what they do and watch them enjoy doing it.

I was lucky enough to catch their show on Sunday at the Scout Bar in Houston. The stage was set up in a unique fashion and the sound was mixed into perfection. With hardly a need for a microphone, Tyler's pipes filled every inch of the venue with sound and Mr. Wood's vocals were dead on. Grady's floor bass complimented the polished tones of Aaron's that gave the crowd no choice but to move along with the beat. Even though they were the opening band, Light Parade definitely had the show stolen from the start. With the arrangement of the setlist well thought out, they provided a wonderful blend of material that was not only chock-full of musical talent, but also entertaining. I really love seeing the progression of bands and it's in my own personal opinion that this was the best of their performances. A blend of smooth and raw, the band's sound is growing in familiarity and popularity. I even had the chance of meeting a couple of sweet young ladies who traveled a great distance to catch the show. To see them singing and swaying along to the songs put a huge smile on my face. It was an evening of familiar faces and songs... and quite a treat for any music lover.














" I did it all for the.." cookie?
With a mad craving for chocolate chip cookies overtaking my body, I was counting down the seconds remaining until our ten o'clock movie at the draft house. My favorite cookies in the world are made at Austin's Alamo Draft house so I was completely devastated when Alamo's Houston location did not serve cookies. All that anxious waiting was done in vain. Can you believe it? I had waited all day to smell that sweet aroma and taste those heavenly concocted cookies just to be told there was no such item on the menu. Bollocks!
However I didn't let the absence of cookies ruin "Flannel Date Night". Because it took the guys so long to get ready we arrived late and couldn't get seats for the eight o'clock showing so we got our tickets for ten and proceeded to the sushi restaurant across the street. Of course I ate until I was miserably full and ready for sleep. We ended up finishing early and lounging at the draft house, Frank provided the entertainment while we waited for Iron man 2 to start and Tiff...Well thankfully she censored some of that entertainment. Even though I didn't get my cookies I had a great night! Tank and Tiff are such a fun couple to be around that it's nearly impossible not to have a good time with them. Hopefully there will be more " Flannel Date Nights" soon!












Lately there has been a bit of conflict in my overly analyzing brain. It’s scary not knowing what your future is going to look like. We all plan for things and dream big but there are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroad, afraid, confused, without a road map. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days for better or worse. To me, life is full of surprises, some good and some bad. It’s how you choose to handle those surprises that matters the most. People say “The choices you make, make you.” Honestly, I’m still trying to understand that statement completely I just haven’t the experience or brain width to wrap my mind fully around it. You know how you can look at something and see one thing, then get a different angle on that same object and it look entirely different, well that’s how I feel about that quote. I’ve never been good with surprises; in fact I strongly dislike being taken off guard. I like to know where I’m headed and what’s in store for me, but that’s not speaking the language of life. Your future is steadily changing. You can’t plan for things like heartbreak or death. Things change at the blink of an eye, people alter and the world still goes on. The question is, are you going to view this with cynicism or find the charm in it all? I have a saying when things are looking dark for me; “Find a better perspective.” I’m sure people hate it when they are in their in midst of their little fit and I tell them to find a better outlook on the situation. I feel it’s the only positive attitude you can have resting on life. So whenever you find yourself at a crossroad or in a dark place with no answers, take a deep breath and know that everything is going to be ok. I once heard a saying “life is best understood backwards.” (or something along those lines). As true as that statement is and as much as I would just love to peak into my future, I know it’s impossible. So I take things day by day and I know that everything is going to be fine (eventually it is). No matter where it is I end up, It’s all going to be ok. And I want you to feel that too.