April 15, 2010

Rock me to sleep.

I have Sad News to report from the world of Heavy metal. Type O Negative’s Peter Steele died yesterday of heart failure. Forty-eight years, that’s all he got.
Makes you really appreciate the time you have been given. I remember my first time meeting Mr. Steele. I was eleven and with my mom at their Houston Show. I had never really been formally introduced to heavy metal so upon arrival I was a little worried. The way the people dressed, their tattoos, piercings, and their hairstyles, weren’t anything I was accustomed to. He stood a towering 6′ 8″ over me and I was quite the intimidated ant. I don’t remember much about the conversation and I’m sure he didn’t either. He was a little “strung out” and reeked of alcohol. I left with an autograph and an theory. Later that week I wrote a paper over how much drugs influenced music and got an F because I stated that “it wouldn’t have been such a memorable experience if they weren’t so wasted and that the drugs made their performance.” I took that F proudly and if I remember correctly, we even hung it on the refrigerator. It was a very opinionated paper and Mom told me opinions will never be graded correctly. That was my first controversial paper to write and I was a ripe eleven year old kid.

My Mom was always the one who challenged my musical horizons. She wanted me to be well educated with it all. Her reasoning behind it was simple; she didn’t want kids at school influencing me with their rubbish rap music. She wanted music to move me the same way it moved her and influence me the way it did her. Some of my favorite days with her were spent at Sunrise Records (I referred to it as “The Vase Shop”). We spent a lot of time in that record store quizzing each other, singing songs and seeing if each other could guess what artist, album and song. Those are memories that could never be replaced or forgotten.


Lately I’ve been watching a little too much of That 70’s show. I started to wonder what I would have been like in the seventies. If I would have pulled for disco or held true to Rock N Roll. You never really know because I wasn’t, but I believe I would have been a diehard rocker girl with appreciation for disco. Off the top of my head I couldn’t name you one disco song besides the YMCA but I could endlessly recite to you numerous rock bands, songs, and band members. Some people would state disco is easier to dance to but what does it have to offer that rock doesn’t. Think of the sub categories rock gives you that no other genre can; you have Brit Rock, Garage rock, Pop rock, Blues-rock, Folk rock, Psychedelic rock, Progressive rock, Glam rock, Soft rock, hard rock, heavy metal, Christian rock, Punk rock, alternative rock, Grunge, Indie rock, Digital electronic rock. If you can’t dance to any of that you may be deaf.


Peter Steele’s death reminds me how short life is. How every second matters. The things you say or the things you don’t, your actions... It all matters! No one promises us a tomorrow or even a future in thirty minutes. I say enjoy life, take chances, and live your life to the fullest! It's all about living in the moment. We decide what to do with the time that's given to us so make it count. An opportunity is bestowed upon you seize it! Who wants to waste a minute? Just let go and jump in. Some of the best moments in my life were all decisions made on whims. Spontaneity is the quality of being able to do something just because you feel like it at the moment. It’s trusting your instincts, of taking yourself by surprise and snatching from the clutches of your well-organized routine, a bit of unscheduled plea! I’ve heard it said that ““If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.” The only situation I would not take this advice with is a matter concerning the heart. I feel that should be the most guarded part of yourself. You must be absolute certain on decisions you make when your heart is involved. Other than that, life is what you make it. It could be fast and short so make the best of it!


It’s late and I’ve been at this for hours. It could be the ADHD or the lack of caffeine either way this has turned into a daylong post. Today hasn’t been the best of days but I’m working on the new perspective. I have many good things going for me right now that is what I should be focusing on. I’ve got a great new job, I’m close to my family, I’ve got an 83 and flight to OKC to spend time with the pops. The only thing this moment is missing is some warm chocolate chip cookies sided by a tall glass of rice milk.

Before I go I must mention my newly found fondness to this band.
I know you are thinking…How mainstream of me. But good tunes are simply good tunes!
http://www.thescriptmusic.com/us/splash/
"The Script are an Irish trio (Danny: vocals, Mark: guitar, Glen: drums) whose music boasts the kind of artful twists sure to turn all preconceptions on their head."